How to Pack Your Home in a Hurry.
Whether it’s your first or tenth time moving, the process of packing never gets easier. It seems as though your house turns into a container of never-ending items, some of which you wonder where did this even came from? Time is against you, stress levels are rising, and it seems as though there just aren’t enough hours in the day. The thought of moving house is both a daunting and exciting experience, and there is plenty of preparation work that goes into it, to ensure that everything from financial aspects to the move itself and being set up in your new property goes smoothly. However, it’s understandable that if you are on a limited time scale, these things can go out of the window. Here at We Buy Any House, we have compiled our top tips to help you pack your home in a hurry.
Get Rid of Useless, Unnecessary or Unwanted Things:
If you want to get the packing process done as soon as possible, then you’re going to have to implement an element of ruthlessness in your packing strategy. It’s important to envision what you will need in your new home, rather than what you want. This way, you won’t have to spend extra (and somewhat unnecessary) time packing all the things you aren’t taking. A great way to pack quickly is to render some household items to either charity, recycling or in the bin. When approaching this situation, a good way to approach this is to ask yourself, will I need this in a year? A few things to consider include:
- Sort through your books. Nowadays, all reading material is online, so why not get involved with the digital age and reduce the number of books you have to take with you.
- Give any unwanted food or pet food to a local food bank or pet shelter.
- Give away any bulky furniture that you can’t see fitting into your new house.
Create a Packing Calendar:
Organisation can solve anything (well, almost). It’s important to be organised as it can dramatically impact the efficiency of your packing. If you’re up against a tight time schedule, it’s important to be as organised as possible, regardless of how little time you have before the move. Included in your packing calendar should be:
- Main entries for each room of your house.
- Making smaller ‘to do’ lists from each room.
- Distributing rooms for each person to undertake.
- Setting approximate deadlines.
- Starting with the toughest rooms.
- Start packing with the room you use least.
- Figure out how to pack your heaviest items, such as kitchen appliances, TVs, a piano.
Pack an Essentials Box:
Your move is inevitably going to be slightly chaotic, so it’s important that you set some essentials aside so that you still have things to use while everything is packed. A great way to do this is to create an essentials box, perhaps a suitcase or duffle bag, for you to store things in, such as:
- A change of clothes.
- A bag of toiletries.
- Important papers, including financial documents/passports/birth certificates/ etc.
- Phone chargers and personal electronics.
Packing alone is never fun, so why not try and make the best of a bad situation by getting some family and friends involved. They may be reluctant at first, but it’s all in the delivery of the question. Stage the help as a ‘packing party’, and ensure them that there will be plenty of good food, drink and music to help everyone get through the task. Additionally, this will give everyone a chance to say their goodbyes and spend time with you. When inviting over some help, think about organising an assembly approach. This includes things such as:
- Wrapping items in appropriate paper and protective wear.
- Assembling various types of boxes.
- Loading the boxes onto the truck (if you already have it).
- Cleaning once rooms are emptied.
Sometimes there’s no other choice but to know when to ask for help! Hiring professionals, whether that’s movers or cleaners, will ensure that every area is covered and completed to a high standard. If you hire professional cleaners, they will ensure that your empty property is left in the best condition possible, and professional movers will pack your belongings quickly and efficiently.
This article was written by a quick house sale company We Buy Any House. If you’re wondering “how can I sell my house fast?”, head to the We Buy Any House website for more information relating to all property related enquiries.